POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: ABX
Date: 14 Nov 2002 02:52:50
Message: <unj6tuk1mbbd7du0hks1gjdqnqsnvcn3lb@4ax.com>
"normdoering" <nor### [at] yahoocom>:
> Here are some links:

Thanks.

> > I don't know any editor who flowed from Word to Britannica. Is it so
> > important?
>
> Because you might be someone who can move on to work as a professional
> graphics programmer for one of these companies by showing them code you
> created for POV:

While I agree companies look for creative people with some experience I don't
think showing code from POV means something. IMO such art companies use own
tools mostly based on triangles and nurbs. That's different concept than in
POV but I can be wrong becouse I never worked in art company. I have heard
some top level movies used clips rendered in POV but I don't remember details.
And that's subject for different thread in different group.

> http://www.mtv411.com/3d-software-reviews.htm

This description of POV is wrong. It is not modeller.

> They accept the fact that the
> artists don't understand the internal workings of the programs

As I said above POV-Ray is raytracer/renderer not modeller. If you don't want
to know internals of it just use modeller as shell. There is Moray available.
It has plugins and SDK for extensions IIRC.

> > Does it mean POV-Ray should have features _only_ for you ?
>
> No. But for my work...
> http://www.geocities.com/normdoer
> I just want to be able to do the things with my software that I want to do.
> I'm trying to make the transition from working with acrylics and pens to
> working with 3D programs. That's my ultimate concern.

Then I really suggest you to use modeller first. Moray is not free but not
expensive.

> > You missed you can download sources of POV and create own function
> > for Parser when you call appropriate functions from POV
>
> I have downloaded the source code... but I don't understand it well yet.

It's good to know C++ and some basic raytracing rules/terminology. I don't
remember any good web resources for it. Perhaps something can be found in POV
Links Collection.

> I have to learn a lot, I'm sure.
> And thank you for your help in that process. Unlike Thorsten you pointed out
> where I could go to learn.

Thorsten is known to be concise which can sound like rude. But general we
(volunteer hobbiest) are really nice people :-)

ABX